Tuesday, June 9, 2009

parenting woes

"You HATE me". Wow, those three little words weigh heavy on my heart. Just a moment ago I heard them come from Payton as he marched down the hall into his bedroom slamming the door behind him. That is the last thing I wanted to hear today.

I guess I have to go back a week and explain a little about how we got here. Last Sunday night as I walked into Payton's room to tuck him into bed, I happened to step in the same EXACT spot he spit a booger on the carpet moments before. To say the least, I was livid. After having him clean it up and giving myself time to calm down, Kyle, myself and Payton all sat in the family room deciding on a punishment for him. All three of us were in agreement to take away the wii (his most prized posession) for a week. It was decided and much to my surprise, he seemed ok with it (until it got later and later in the week).

Well the day before he was suppose to get it back, as I walked from my room into the office, I heard that familiar sound. . . . . the wii. I could not believe my ears. As I rounded the corner to the family room there was Payton, standing in front of the tv getting ready to play. Calmly I walked up to the tv, turned it off, and told him no wii for another week. That's when he lost his mind and started telling me that I hate him, that I used to love him a while ago, and what did he do to make me hate him. And I just sat there while he carried on.

Here is my thing, what can I do to get him to realize that I do LOVE him, but there are always going to be consequences to actions (good or bad)? Somedays I totally hate being a parent, but LUCKILY the good days and the fun times totally outweigh the bad.

1 comment:

Kati Atkinson Vollmer said...

WOW! That had to be hard. He knows you love him, and that can be seen by the things you do. He knows you love him because you set the boundaries (even if he's trying to see if he can break them)...Hope all is better now!